Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Tragedy again.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer today...

I'm really upset about the tragic mine explosion. This happened at a mine very close to my high school, so I realize that some of the miners could be people I know. I'm not sure, but my Dad and uncle have jobs in the mine rescue field, so they could be there helping out.
I don't know what caused the explosion, but I do know if you go back and look at the major mine tragedies that we've heard about in the past 10 years or so, there is the name of a company that you see all too much: Massey. I have family members that worked for other mines (union mines) and you don't see UMWA mines in these major accidents. I am not saying tragedy never happens, but it seems so much more frequent with Massey mines. I don't mean to get political with this tragedy but when is enough going to be enough? When is there going to be more than a slap on the wrist and a fine they probably have in their budget already to pay?

I know coal has put food on my plate for many years (not Massey coal though =P).I know reasons like that are why many people here (well in my home state) put up with a company like Massey, but I do wish people would realize that after they are done raping our land and letting our fathers, husbands and brothers die in accidents like this they are GONE. When the coal is gone, so are they and all their jobs and money.

Edit:  Just thought I should add that my dad is a mine rescue trainer and has been there all week.  What little bit of sleep he has had has been in his truck.  My uncle has also been there, going into the mine to recover bodies.  I've been worried sick about both of them, and not to mention appreciating the dedication of the many others there going through the same thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment